Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Rube

I have been called many things in my life, not all of them good to be sure. As I tend to be negative and contentious, I take name calling, and what I deem “Labeling”, in stride. Oh I may balk and or growl about a verbal slight, but usually I look at it from whence it comes and shrug it off. There are a few though, that cannot be dismissed so easily. There are certain words and phrases that just plain sting. However, I ask, how can a word or phrase actually cause a human being discomfort? For, in truth, words are but sounds, either articulated through speech or written down. We all know the answer, even those of us who have not spent their entire lives in the hallowed halls of our education system. It is the matter of intent and attitude. The old adage “Sticks and Stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me.” Really is not true, as words can do great harm, thus the rise in awareness over mental abuse along with physical domestic violence. Let me give an example, and yes I am leading up to something here.

A few years ago, my wife and I were invited to a wedding at the Harvard Club in Boston. As I was unable to attend an Ivy League College I was excited to go and walk the halls of such a famous institution. After a long train ride from Portland and a quick hop on the “T “, we found ourselves at the club and ready for the ceremony. For those of you who have been there I need not describe the beauty of the place. Wood paneled walls filled with books (my first love), a winding staircase up to the reading room/ library with large comfortable seats where I could envision myself sitting for hours pouring over the writings of Locke, Jefferson, Franklin, and Adams. The prestige and History of the place had me in awe, as I walked slowly about taking in the details of my surroundings.

After a beautiful ceremony in the Reading room and a small cocktail hour we all retired to a little dining room set up for the reception. Again, the room was inspiring with its woodwork, and tasteful décor. I was feeling very happy and pleased with my surroundings and the company I was keeping at the moment. The newly weds were both stunning and glowing with a happiness one sees not too often, and lively conversation was the rule of the day. And then….It all came crashing down with one word….

As our table went up to the buffet to get our meal I began looking at the bevy of dishes laid out before us. The table was groaning beneath the weight of it all. But for all that food, I was having trouble identifying what the dishes consisted off. It seems that people of Ivy League status need to make food look completely different from its original form at all costs. So as we stand in line, I ask my wife quietly “what is that?” as I point to a platter of cream sauce covered something right next to us. A nice woman in front of us explains it is some sort of vegetable dish that is very good and we thank her. Moving down the line I see some potatoes and say to my wife in hushed tones and a smile, “ahh there’s something I recognize.” That’s when a woman on the other side of the groaning table says to me very loudly, “Don’t be such a Rube.”

My reaction and rage was immediate.

Turning to my shocked wife I growl “That’s what I’ve been on about”. Meaning for the 10 years she has known me I have played the same tune over and over again. The tune is about Elitism and all its ugliness, and there it was right before our very eyes. It was not the word “rube” that stung but the attitude behind the word. An attitude of contempt, disgust and possibly hatred pointed directly at me. Now, there was no reason for such an attack. I had not the opportunity to drink too much, so I was not in my cups, I had been respectful and pleasant in my conversations and I had gone out of my way not to offend with my conservative views. My wife and I were dressed “to the Nines”, so no one could say we looked poorly etc. No this was an unprovoked attack by a person who not knowing me, my position, or background, simply categorized me as a Rube, for I was obviously beneath her station. Perhaps she so chose to label me as such for my place of residence, i.e. Maine. I suppose that being one of great stature requires more than an understanding of such things as warfare, politics and, economics. I guess one needs to be a culinary expert as well with no sense of humor. Needless to say, I did not linger in the halls of Harvard much longer. To save what was a perfectly beautiful day, until that moment, and to spare this lovely couple any drama on their wedding day, I chose to leave, instead of arguing and yes possibly beating, this snotty woman from New York.

Elitism has been a part of the American panorama throughout its illustrious history. Alexander Hamilton once deemed the general populace of the country as “The Herd that walks on two legs.”, and any native of Maine can tell you stories of summer tourist’s high handed ways. It is not new by a long shot, but it is becoming more commonplace.

Barack Obama, recently got into hot water over his "Bitter" comment when speaking about the people of rural Pennsylvania. His audience, in San Francisco California, was a most comfortable setting for him to express his true feelings. It seems that the good people of Rural Pennsylvania, are bitter because they have no voice in government, or so says Barack, and they have turned to religion, guns, and bigotry as their answer. As the Senator from Illinois looked down upon these lost folks, or shall we say, “The Herd”, I was struck by the arrogance of his attitude. Not unlike my attacker, Barack feels some kind of superiority over a large part of the population. How? His statements prove that he knows nothing about the people of Pennsylvania or of any rural state for that matter. Allow me to piece this together some. The people of Pennsylvania have not turned to religion Mr. Obama, because they have no say in Government. They have been and always will be a religious community. I do believe the Quakers had a strong influence in early Pennsylvania, and there are always the Amish. What you are saying Senator is that those people who believe in God and go to Church are stupid because what they should really be doing is listening to you and the government you want to form.

Gun ownership, has been a part of the American persona that goes back way before the foundation of this country. Rural and agricultural communities needed a gun about not only to hunt for food, but also to defend against attacks from Indians, and later the oppressive forces of the British government. The Pennsylvania Long Rifle, a flintlock muzzleloader, is one of the most beautiful firearms ever produced. The people of Pennsylvania are not turning to Guns Senator, the guns have been there from the beginning, and are guaranteed under the second amendment of the Bill of Rights. I realize that we the general populace are too obtuse to understand such lofty documents as the Constitution and the Bill of Rights, but let’s just pretend the good people do for the sake of argument.

This arrogance and Elitist attitude expressed by the Senator from Illinois, is the real problem. Somehow, this upstart has the temerity to look down his nose at a portion of our population that has done so much for this nation. In his disdain and scorn for the hardworking people he claims to want to lead, he is blinded to the history rich culture that so Identifies these people. The very same people who faced the British muskets during the revolution and in 1812. Their forefathers, dressed up in Union Blue to help free the slaves in the civil war, and have fought in every war our nation has been in since. They built the city of Brotherly Love and welcomed immigrants to our shores and provided the Steel that built our modern world. What in comparison has the Senator from Illinois accomplished? How can he say that these patriotic, hard working citizens, the very backbone of America, are small minded and Bitter? If that is what a Rube is, and that is how all you Elitist Liberals see us common folks then so be it. I will proudly call myself a Rube. For if we are to really look at who I see as a better sort, an arrogant Senator and a snotty New York socialite, or the hard working people of Rural America, you can easily figure out with whom I cast my lot.

Slainte'
Blighter

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your writings are articulate. It seems a shame you seem only to be listening to sound bytes.
A man who was raised by a single Mom in various poverty areas of the world, and his grandparents (south side poor hard working); who earned his way and had to pay off loans for his college hardly seems elitist. A few poorly chosen words, but at least they were not lies like Hillary.
Hillary even portends she helped with solving the Irish problem. Talk about delusional. Along with her sniper fire fantasy.
If you listen to the Hillarys or Hannaties you are really limiting your intellect.
HOPE you can get out of your caustic mood and see that Obama is a good person, and not part of the silver spoon crowd.

Blighter said...

Thank you for the compliment.

The shame rests not with me, it rests with the Senator from Illinois for the very reasons I put forth in my piece. Your assertion that I listen to naught but sound bites is really unfounded and ridiculous. Yes I listen to Hannity, I also watch the news and pour over the web for any pieces of information I can get a hold on. I have written about my displeasure of both Hillary and Hannity at one time or another.

Regardless of the fact that Sen. Obama had a " Blue Collar" Upbringing, his words show that he has forgotten that part of his life, unless of course , he can glean some mileage out of it.

I Quote;
"It's not surprising, then, they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations."

It speaks for itself.

I care not whether the Senator is a " Nice Person". For I believe, that the leader of the most powerful nation on this planet, needs to have a bit more in their corner than a " Minty white smile" and some platitudes.

As to Hillary and Northern Ireland, I am happy you gave me a lead which I will follow with great enthusiasm. For if she did so take credit for the hard work of all the parties involved, I will be taking her to task as well.

Caustic? Of course hence the name Blighter ;)

Slainte'
Blighter

Anonymous said...

In your very interesting reception story you got upset over someone calling you a name over your words. Which clearly do NOT portry who you are. Yet here you are condemning a person over some poorly chosen words. (Not lies)
It is unfortunate that the nation's media is using the gage of reality TV ( gossip, back biting, innuendos' and lies )to mislead this nation to the 'important matters' of what tools to use in deciding the qualities of a Presidential Candidate.
You know. Like.... Wearing a Flag Pin; or a 40 year old case of the Weathermen or whether a pastor is a patriot ( btw is a Veteran ) .. Really urgent issues. As a nation we are in urgent need of addressing economics, this draining war ( that makes us n debt to China) and the high cost of just living!
Obama tried many times to elevate the conversations to these important matters, yet Hillary and the ABC arm of her campaign focused on this kind of trash.
Higher expectations would be nice don't you think? I'm Betting that you are a good thinker.
btw. never said or wrote the word 'shame'. Don't 'project' that is what the pundents do in the media.

Blighter said...

Anonymous, I appreciate your taking the time to read my ravings and in discussing this matter. Allow me to address a few of your points.

First, I did condemn the Senator for his, as you put it, “Poorly chosen words”. This however does not contradict my reaction in my reception piece for the following reason.

At the beginning of the Primary season, a Fellow Senator was asked what he thought of the then unknown Barack Obama. His reply contained the words “Articulate and intelligent” which were meant as a compliment to Mr. Obama. However, not only was the fellow senator chastised by the media and his cohorts for being racist, there was no way anyone would let him explain that the intent was far from derogatory. If we are to hold one person to account, by certain standards, then so to should we hold all persons to the same standard. If, we do not, then we as a Nation no longer support or promote equality, but inequality in its stead. I hold all I know to the same standards behavior and expect no less in return. The Senator from Illinois was out of line, or if not, as you contend, at least he was called to task for it not unlike his fellow at the beginning of the season.

Second, I agree that the Main Stream Media are out of control and have a particular agenda. The object of the news is not to mislead or manipulate, but to report. They fail greatly on the score of reporting. Do I have higher expectations? Yes, but do I dismiss altogether the information on these matters? No. They do serve some purpose, not a great one but one of import.

If the Democratic candidates differed at all on the issues then perhaps the media would have more to report on. However, the only difference between the two is a matter of a few dollars of personal household cost as pertains to their Health care Plans. Both of which are faulty in the extreme especially considering the impending economic down turn we are facing. We can look at their voting records which are not at all impressive, then we turn to the “manner of the man” or woman. That is what I believe these types of stories represent. You pointed out Hillary’s Lies as to Northern Ireland, as I was on Hiatus I missed the whole fiasco so I did not attack it. Now as I researched it I found hundreds of blogs and news reports dealing with that and her “Sniper Fire”. This gets to the Manner of the candidate. If they Lie, or Lie to lessen consequences, then it comes to a matter of Character. All politicians lie, so now it has become a sport amongst them to see how big a falsehood they can pull off. My question is, do we really want someone who so blatantly puts forth prevarications or who tells obvious lies to get out of hot water, to be the leader of our nation? This feeds into the Elitism I spoke of in my piece. For if the candidates believe that their lies or embellishments will go unnoticed, then they are saying to the American People that we are stupid. Perhaps we are.

Up until recently Senator Obama has not wanted to discuss specifics. His platform of “Change” though appealing ascetically really has no substance. He said he never voted for the war…. Well of course he didn’t, he wasn’t a Senator then. He points out the economy is failing, Thanks I didn’t notice. Tell us how you are going to alleviate that? He can’t. Being a politician Barack would have gone the way of the Do-Do a long time ago if he didn’t have the ability to read or grasp some popular feeling. But playing on feelings and having solutions to the problems that cause those feelings are two different things.

I digress; taken individually, the list of errors on the senator’s list makes them seem innocuous at best. But if we look at them as a whole, he appears to be associated with some very unsavory folks, and this should give us all pause as to what “manner of man” he is.

Lastly I must address this point; you wrote “ btw. Never said or wrote the word ‘shame’. Don’t ‘project’ that is what the pundents do in the media.”
In your initial post here you wrote It seems a shame you seem only to be listening to sound bytes.
No Projection here simple observation ;)

Slainte’
Blighter